Monday, July 02, 2007

Tex Avery - "Screwball Squirrel"


Here's the last Screwy cartoon, which happens to be the first one released. This should pretty much wrap up my Screwy posts as I think I've posted everything I have Screwy related, for now at least.



On a somewhat Tex Avery related note, I came across this video of on Youtube of Iomogene Lynn singing with the Ray McKinley Orchestra. For those of you who don't know of her she provided the singing voice of Red in Tex's "Swing Shift Cinderella", "The Shooting Of Dan McGoo", and "Uncle Tom's Cabana". Also, "Little Rural Riding Hood" but that was reused footage. I've been quite of fan of her as she was also the vocalist for Artie Shaw's band in 1945 and then joining the vocal group The Merry Macs. She also dubbed vocals on various movies and on TV along with backing up singers like Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra. Thanks to whoever posted this video.


3 comments:

Michael J. Ruocco said...

Great cartoon, but There's a problem with the video. Right when the barrel gag starts, there's no more sound for the rest of the cartoon.

I especially like the Avery gags that show that the cartoons are completely fake, especially the record skip gag in this cartoon & the "hair in the projector" gag in Magical Maestro.

I just watched that Tex Avery documentary over at Thad K's blog earlier today, & I never knew that he had such a distaste for the Screwy Squirrel shorts. Is it possible that Screwy was TOO screwy for Tex?

Kevin Langley said...

Thanks for the heads up Michael. I'll have upload it again I guess.

That record skipping gag is one of my favorites. Cracks me up everytime.

I still don't understand why he didn't like Screwy. He's said he didn't think he was funny. maybe he never watched the finished cartoon :)

Anonymous said...

Its amazing when you find the real voices of these cartoons and you put them up against their drawings.

Can't help but notice that Iomogene was quite atractive herself too :)