Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tex Avery - "The Screwy Truant"


This is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite cartoons, definetly in my top five. Screwy's design isn't as slick as in his earlier shorts but it's very fitting. I can only assume it's closer to Avery's own drawing style than say Louis Schmitt's or Claude Smith's designs for Avery's unit. I still can't for the life of me understand why more people don't really like Screwy that much. The scene where the truant officer blows out a foot is hilarious. Perfectly animated. Enjoy!

Oh, I finally got around to adding some labels to most of my posts so it should be easy to sort through all this stuff.



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that was a masterpiece.

Anonymous said...

Why does the vid end after Meathead says "why was'nt you in school?" We never get to see the end(Not that I don't have this on DVD)But I agree, this is a masterpeice.

Kevin Langley said...

Really? I must've accidentally cut it when I encoded it. I'll redo it and post again.

Brett W. Thompson said...

Woo!! Great post! :D

Kasey said...

You're not alone, fellow Screwy fan. I actually enjoy him more than Bugs or Daffy.

Anonymous said...

This is great. More Screwy Squirrel PLEASE! He beats bugs by a long shot!

Kevin Langley said...

Hooray, I'm not alone of this one. I'll post the other Screwy shorts real soon then.

WIL BRANCA said...

I, too, am a Screwy fan! Thanks for posting this (and all the others).

Anonymous said...

This is probaly the 2nd best of the Screwy Squirrel shorts. (#1 is defintely Happy Go Nutty)

Anonymous said...

Was it true that Tex Avery hated Screwy Squirrel? Or is that just a rumor?

Ryan Khatam said...

i've loved screwy squirrel ever since i was six.

Kevin Langley said...

I don't remember if Tex said he hated him or not but I do remember reading him say that he didn't think he was funny.

Anonymous said...

Screwy was always my favorite, right up there with early Daffy Duck.